Information in research papers and writing borrowed from other sources must be documented. This includes quotations, summaries, paraphrases, or any facts or ideas that are not common knowledge.
Some disciplines have their own styles for documenting sources. Check your course syllabus, assignment, or with your professor about which style to use.
Examples of styles used at Goshen College:
- APA American Psychological Association- education, nursing, psychology, sciences
- ASA American Sociological Association - sociology
- Chicago/Turabian [as of the 16th and 8th edition, these two styles have merged] - history, humanities, religion, peace, justice & conflict studies; social and natural sciences
- MLA Modern Language Association - English, humanities
- SBL Society of Biblical Literature - Bible, religion, philosophy